Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Monday, September 9, 2013

CSM8 Status report: Week eighteen

First up, there were no status reports for week sixteen or week seventeen.  The first was spent almost entirely on preparations for the summit and the second was spent AT the summit.  This generally applied both to the CSM -- who spent the week prior to the summit laying out strategy for the things we wanted to make sure came up -- and CCP, who answered the occasional pre-summit question by joking "I'll tell you next week when I see you."  That's not to say there was nothing else done -- I covered a couple of items in my "Day Minus One" post, but even those tasks were pretty well summit-related.

Now that the summit is over, CSM8 has turned its attention over to the production of the minutes.  I spent a good bit of my week on that, which is a bit more precise style of writing than I normally do.  Still, college training comes in handy here and one of the things I was trained to do was listen and take notes and be able to produce transcripts.  So that's what I'm doing.

Meetings with CCP have also started up again in earnest, and we have two new Skype channels based on the advertising that we did at the summit.  The main meeting this past week was about the DUST-EVE link.  As I said in my daily status, both the CSM and CPM are a tiny bit concerned with where the link is going and want to express our concerns as a group in detail.  It's not that the plans for the link are bad.  It's just that many members of the CSM and CPM are concerned that they're not bold enough.  I myself... am conflicted about it.

Our bi-weekly stakeholder meetings with Team Five-0 are also starting back up this week.  It'll be fun to watch a new feature go from genesis through development to delivery.  This coming week, we have two meetings with our stake-holder team about their winter expansion work.

Finally, Xander Phoena got in another interview this past week with two members of CSM8, Ali Aras and Chitsa Jason this time.  Go give it a listen.  It's good stuff!

But most of this past week was about dividing the workload for the next couple of weeks, and there's going to be a lot of it!  I myself have initially signed up to write the minutes for three summit sessions and I kind of suspect I'll end up writing four or five before all is said and done.  Plus I'll want to read the others, provide input and feedback, start nudging CCP to approve them for publishing...  One of the two periods you all elected me for are starting up in earnest!

15 comments:

  1. Whats the ETA on CSM8 Summit Minutes ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bit early even for an ETA. We'll know more when we know how many people will be working on the 24 parts, and whether we can talk about all 24 parts or will have to NDA whole sections.

      Delete
    2. Publishing the minutes shouldn't be a big effort every year. The fact that it seems to be one of the most time-consuming activities undertaken by every CSM is a travesty.

      Delete
  2. Err... Soundwaves departure not worth mentioning?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I have much to say about this that hasn't already been said. I may write a post about it this week. Because of his departure, CSM8 didn't interface with him... at all, really.

      Delete
  3. I listened to the pod cast and I saw the photo on Xander's podcast page of what I think is CSM8. Using the process of elimination I think I figured out which one is you Jester. You're not female so that one is easy. You're in your 40's so that eliminates the 2 in the back. I've seen Trebor on stream, I don't think you'd wear a Geek T-shirt, so that leave's just 2. So of the 2 remaining I think you're the guys standing right behind the guy sitting down - wearing the white badge. Am I right? BTW, thanks for the updates and giving up your game time to keep the player base up to date!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1NhbnKTCbM at 1:57

      Delete
    2. I think you'd be wrong there:
      http://imgur.com/a/sgerr#0

      Delete
  4. It has to be you, with the exception of the goatee you and Ripard look exactly alike. Even the pose of your blog toon and your actual photo on the podcast page - same angle...:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently it's not that unusual for people and their EVE avatars to look somewhat similar, even subconsciously.

      Delete
  5. Did you ever find out if the NDA is in itself NDA'd?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. I answered that one in a previous status report, around week six.

      Delete
  6. Here's the EVE-DUST link as it stands today. You jump into a system and see local chatter on the level of 14-year-old spergelords. It doesn't even rise to the typical level of EVE smacktalk. It's juvenile and inane. Then you look at the top-right of the local chat channel box and sure enough, there it is! You're in one of the DUST staging systems. And there's no way to mute them.

    I hope they don't spend too much time on the EVE-DUST link because it's going to be a moot point before long. In fact, it was said 2 years ago that the link could NOT be too strong lest the failure of one game take down the other along with it.

    The sooner DUST is gone, the better IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Somewhat random, but in case you meet someone in CCP who still cares about Incarna:

    The new Sims game, to be released in "early 2014," has taken the core elements of CCP's character creator and improved on them. Needless to say, Maxis is also much better at UI design.

    ReplyDelete